Who – I’m an Applied Economist working on Health and Healthcare.
What – I am interested in various topics, including: [health] policy evaluation, health systems and services research (focus on cancer screening and early detection), analysis of spillover effects in health[care], selection and moral hazard in health insurance, economics of health systems governance (focus on primary healthcare provision in LMICs), and development [health] economics.
How – I try to approach empirical studies with theoretical underpinnings, using econometric and network analysis tools and working comfortably across platforms (especially R and Stata).
Current First-authored Working Papers (sorted by maturity)
- with Rachel Meacock, Jack Elliott, Søren R. Kristensen, Phillip Britteon, David Lugo Palacios and Matt Sutton. “Spillover effects from healthcare interventions: A scoping review and framework for identification and measurement”. Under review. [Abstract]
Presentations: Winter Meeting HESG, virtual, 2021.
- with Rachel Meacock and Matt Sutton. “Household spillovers in screening for bowel cancer: Evidence from the English Longitudinal Study on Ageing”. Working paper. [Abstract]
Presentations: APHEC Workshop, University of Genoa, 2021.
- “Selection on moral hazard in the Swiss market for mandatory health insurance: Empirical evidence from Swiss Household Panel data”. Working paper. [Abstract]
Presentations: Congress of the Scottish Economic Society, virtual, 2021; Health Economics Study group, University of Leeds, 2022 (planned).
- with Kath Checkland, Jon Gibson, Sharon Spooner and Matt Sutton. “Skill-mix and outcomes in primary care: A longitudinal analysis of English General Practices for the period 2015-2019”. Working paper.
- “Does Increased Operational Governance Reduce Payments for Free Healthcare Services? The Case of Deliveries in Tanzanian Government Health Facilities”. Work in progress. [Abstract]
Presentations: iHEA World Congress, virtual, 2021.
Other co-authored work (* first author)
- with Jon Gibson*, Kath Checkland, Sharon Spooner, and Matt Sutton. “Associations of primary care workforce composition with population, professional and system outcomes: retrospective cross-sectional analysis”. Revision required at British Journal of General Practice.
- with Jack Elliott*, Rachel Meacock, and Matt Sutton. “Do informal care recipients internalise carer burden? Examining the effect of informal care receipt on health behaviours”. Under review.
- with Catherine Campbell*, Rachel Meacock, and Matt Sutton. “Outcomes for university students following emergency care presentation for deliberate self-harm”. Work in progress.
- with Ruth Watkinson, Stephanie Gillibrand, Alex Turner, and Matt Sutton. “A description of ethnic, gender, and income inequalities in waiting times across English Emergency Departments”. Work in progress.